Final Project: Design Boards Research

After finalising my own design, I had to start researching about the way of presenting my ideas on design boards. I tried to look at different designs boards to get inspired on what to include in each one. This was a completely new process to me so I had to look at a few different ones and see what I want to include and what not.

A common element in all designs I looked at was the title and a description of the product. I have to ensure that the title of the product is evident in all the slides of my design. I should also add a small description of the product on the first page to make sure that the viewer understands what I am presenting.

I was advised to keep my presentation short and to the point and present my ideas as clearly as possible with my design boards being 2-4. I have to make sure that everything is organised and that I only include specific and necessary information. In real life, I would be presenting this to potential customers or buyers, so keeping it short will definitely help as it won’t bore them.

This was the first design I looked at. What really stood out to me in this design was the way they presented both the components and the technical drawings. The components are clearly displayed and the technical drawings show various perspectives of the product. The technical drawings work really well as you have a clear outline of the design in the different perspectives.

This design mainly includes sketches of the product. I really like that they included a 2D element in their design and I would also like to include some. My sketches are very rough; therefore, I will have to redo some sketches and include them in my design. Sketches can be very helpful as it shows the process of how a rough sketch can develop into the product created. I do not like the layout of this design as it has colours that are distracting like the blue.

This design was sent to me from my tutor as an example of what I have to do. In this design board, I really like how they included an exploded view with what each part does. I would like to include an exploded view in my design boards to show each part separately. My project consists of many components which would be better shown when the view is exploded. Additionally, I really like the layout of this design board as it is very simple and keeps the main focus on the product.

I really like the different perspectives included in this board. You can view the object from different angles and you can also see the sketches of the initial idea. I also really like the negative space in this design as there is a lot of blank space. This allows the design to stand out and does not frustrate the viewer. There has to be enough negative space to let the design breathe and be more effective. 

The thing that stood out to me the most in this design is that they included views of how the design will be in real life. They placed it in a realistic space with a human being showing how it can be used. This allows the viewer to visualise the design and how it will be in real life. This is something that I also want to include in my own design boards.

I wanted to keep this research short and to the point to ensure that I point out what I will like to include in my own boards so I can proceed on designing them. 


 After reviewing these designs, I had an idea of what to include in my own.

In the first design board, I would like to include title, description of my work, orthographic drawings, sketches and technical drawings.

In the second design board, I would like to include exploded version of my design with the description of each component and show how it differs from others in the market. Include and highlight innovative features of design. I would also like to include the material used, the colour palette and the number of components used. 

In the third slide, I would like to include renders from different angles with the specifications of my design. I want to keep the text simple and to the point. I want to include as many angles of my design as possible for people to get an accurate representation of the design with a plain background.


I feel like three design boards is enough for the viewers to know a lot about my design without getting bored of viewing the boards. I have to ensure that I keep my text as minimal as possible and include more images to display my design.

For the layout of my design, the main colours in my website include white and orange. I want to maintain the same colour scheme by making the background white and adding orange details. I will keep the identity the same by including the same font that I include in my website. Consistency is key when designing.

Concluding, I really liked looking at these designs as they helped me get inspired. I have a clearer idea of what to include in each design board.


References:

https://search.muz.li/NTQwN2VkOWQ0

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/2392606035737932/

https://visscom.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/presentation-board-layout-tips/

https://visscom.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/100989905-james-allen-final-pres-board-small.jpg

Comments

  1. Good work here - you have really looked at the different boards and considered the design and specifications included. You should not use piniterest though as a reference you should use the original source

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment