Final Project: Reviews for the table I analysed
After analysing an existing product in detail, it was time to look at the reviews of it. This will allow me to see how the buyers responded to such a product and what I can do to improve the design of my own.
Instead of choosing some reviews that only had positive comments, I decided to select a few that had constructive criticism as a means of learning from the imperfections of existing designs and improving it in my own design.
I will have to make sure that the components included in my design can be suitable enough to ensure that the desk is well stabilised onto the wall. I will further research into components in a later stage in the blog to ensure that this issue doesn't occur in my design.
Wrong measurements in the instructions is something that caused many problems with a lot of people. I need to make sure that I align the holes in my design and make them as accurate and precise as possible. This will make it easier for the user to install it and less frustrating. Having multiple holes drilled onto a wall is not ideal as it can cause a lot of frustration and damages the wall. I will make sure I carefully design and consider this.
The user spotted out many issues in the design. The first one was that it was overpriced as it was £74. In my personal opinion, I also think that it's overpriced as my target market are students. In my own design I need to consider materials that will make it cheaper but durable.
The varnish was very smelly for weeks, is another issue that she reports. Therefore, I need to research different varnishes and make sure that the one I choose, IF I include a varnish, doesn't smell bad.
For the adjustable shelving, I need to make sure that everything fits perfectly inside so that it doesn't tip when you touch it. I can add components to help the shelves be more stable.
Lastly, I need to figure out a way to make my product easy to assemble and install. I need to think of simple and effective solutions to this problem. I will dedicate other blog posts for this.
This particular review was very helpful. I didn't even think about the smell of the varnish so it was very beneficial looking at this.
Both these reviews mention how misleading and incorrect the instructions were. I should clearly indicate and design onto my product the place where it is supposed to be drilled into the wall. This way it might be easier for the users to install it and make the process less frustrating.
Even though this review mentions that it is solidly built, cracks are formed on the inside which is not a good sign for the durability of the product. It shouldn't crack or deform so I have to think of materials and components used to avoid this.
Despite all the constructive criticism, there are a lot of positive comments about this.
68% of the people that purchased it left a 5 star rating. This shows that the majority of the people enjoyed their product and like using it. I will keep in mind all the points that the people made and will use them to try and improve my design as much as possible.
References:
Very well done and well considered here - I think you have shown you have earnt alot from this and understood what to avoid in your own design - good work indeed !
ReplyDelete