After sketching out a few of my initial
ideas, I decided to roughly design the two ideas that I liked most on
software. I am planning on sending my designs to various people to receive
feedback so I decided to sketch them out on software to clearly show my
reviewers what I plan to do. This will allow them to clearly visualise how the
product will look in real life and have a more accurate representation.
Doing this will also allow me to further
experiment with the software and improve my skills.
Both of these designs were created very
roughly. Once I start developing my final design, I will take everything into
account and my design will be more detailed. However, at this stage of my
development, I only needed rough sketches.
This was the first design I created on
software:
I
think the rectangular design works well for this product as it maximises both
study and storage area. Both of these designs have the same rectangular shape. One
of them is landscape and the other is portrait orientation. The first design
does not have legs and can be mounted on the wall at the height most suitable to the student. The second design includes legs, which does not allow the user to adjust it to their own personal
height. After the feedback, I will have to consider what the target market
suggests is a better orientation for my design, how many shelves I should
include and whether or not I should include legs.
It
was now time to sketch the two designs on software.
Design
#1:
The first step was to design the top of the desk. I used the 'rectangle' tool and drew one rectangle inside the other. I used the 'extrude' tool to make my 2D planar surface into 3D.
I designed the bottom part using the 'rectangle' and 'extrude' tool again, just like the first step.
I also added some shelves and some lines to act as components to make it look more realistic.
Design #2:
I used the same steps as I did in the first one to design this. I used the 'rectangle' and 'extrude' tool to form both planar surfaces of my design.
Now
that I have both of my initial designs sketched out on software, it is time to
send it to a number of students (my target market) to receive feedback on what
they would like me to include in my design, what they think is good about the
product what I need to improve. Feedback is a crucial factor of designing a
product and I want to communicate with my target market continuously as a means
of improving the product.
In
the next blog post I will be asking people to comment on these designs.
Additionally, I will post my own reactions to the comments and point out
certain factors that I like and dislike.
Very good post with good technical detail, good development and outcomes. I think you are right about getting feedback to understand what the user would want and this is a great start on your design process
ReplyDeleteVery impressive and really good technical information.
ReplyDelete