Final Project: Folding Mechanism Research
After looking at initial ideas, it was time to
look further into mechanisms, components, materials and aesthetics in order to
start developing my product.
In this blog I will describe the different
folding mechanisms that I consider can be incorporated in my own design and
satisfy my requirements
I consider the folding mechanism as one of the
most important parts of my design, as it is key to ensuring maximum
functionality and durability for my product.
I
had looked at this table in the past and was really inspired by it.
This design by Marc Newson inspired me to look
at a folding functionality that is created by bending a single plank. This made
me think that by implementing this technique my design would not contain any
components since it would consist of the bending of one continuous plank.
However, this will not work out as the material used will be wood. Bending wood
will not allow the flexibility of folding and unfolding the product. I would
have to use components, mechanisms and various planks to make this work as I
intended it to. I discarded this immediately.
The next folding mechanism that inspired me was hand fans. Looking closely at the way each surface folds was very fascinating and inspiring. The way I can implement and corporate the technique used in the production of fans is shown in my sketch. There will be a drawer at the bottom of the box which customers will be able to pull forward to reveal the desk and push back to hide it. Brass braces can be used to hold everything together. Nuts and bolts can be used to assemble this onto the wall and make it strong and stable.
Comments: I
really like this mechanism as it is both innovative and creative. However,
looking at aesthetics, I feel like the overall image is not the best choice. In
addition, the purpose of using a plank to cover the front of the box is to
avoid any dust from getting onto the shelves. In this design, the shelves are
exposed which will cause dust to settle on them.
This mechanism was inspired by a desk I saw in
a YouTube video. From the front, the desk will be folded-out of the wall
providing enough space for the user to work on. Even though this desk looks
the simplest compared to all the other initial ideas, it still manages to have
the most compartments, therefore satisfying the need for enough storage space. The
desk will have will have two ‘cupboard-like’ compartments with two shelves on
the two sides, allowing a lot of storage space. In the front piece of wood will be able to be lowered by a folding
table leg brace mechanism, allowing it to open at a 90 degree angle to form the
desk. Out of all the mechanisms reviewed, I feel that this one is the most functional
and easy to use by a student. The use of pneumatic braces means that my
customers will not have to apply a lot of pressure to fold and unfold it.
Comments: This mechanism is the most effective for my design. It covers the storage shelves and prevents dust from getting inside. It is easy to use, effective and efficient. I believe that a simple design will be ideal for the particular product and will appeal to my target market.
In
this design, the shelves would slide and convert into a table, providing a
working space for students to study. The mechanism used for the desk to swing
up and down would be a lift up hinge with a stand rack bracket made out of
heavy duty steel in order to allow the desk to carry up to 50kg of weight.
Since the hinge will be applied to each shelf, it will give each shelf the
capability to hold up to 50kg, which I believe is more than adequate for its
intended use. The shelves will stay upright when not used as a desk by using
small clips at the hinges, preventing them from sliding.
The
material used is pine wood, which is inexpensive and strong. Duty steel hinges
are used to provide maximum strength as a lot of weight and pressure might be
applied on the desk.
Comments: I find this design very interesting and unique. However, I do not think that this design is practical. When the mechanism is upwards forming shelves users will be able to store several items. However, when needing to transform the shelves into the desk users will have to remove all stored items in order to fold it downwards. This defeats the purpose of providing storage while also being able to study simultaneously. Additionally, each shelf would have to be wide enough in order to form a large enough table. This will cause the shelves to extrude too much from the wall, thus taking up a lot of space and defeating the purpose of 'conservation of space'.
In the next blog post, I will look into components and materials that could be used as I now know which folding mechanism to use.







Great development and adjustment here of your design after feedback - this was well worth doing to ensure that you do create a design that your target market actually wants to buy and use.
ReplyDeleteIt is another good effort to develop your idea. I like your research in terms of the materials and how constructive conclusions you pick from the reviews. The only thing what I could change is putting more attention into the sketches. Just in case to show your perspective in a more advanced way.
ReplyDelete