Final Project: Development

 After receiving feedback on my initial designs, it was time to develop my idea as a means of improving it and satisfying my target market. 

Some of their comments included:

1. It resembles an electrical box a lot.

2. They mostly prefer the portrait orientation.

3. One of them said that she likes more intricate furniture pieces.

4. Person number 5 suggested to add things to the sides of it to alter the image of the electrical box.

5. Perhaps make my design more square.

This feedback was very helpful and it definitely gave me insights on how to improve my design and what my target market is looking for. 

After some research, these were the two designs that inspired me the most. 


This design was one of my inspirations as it helped me develop my own design. The smooth edges make the table very aesthetically pleasing and prevent any injuries from happening. This table reminds me of Marc Newson's style I previously looked at as he bends a single plank to form his furniture. 

This was the design that sparked my idea and helped me develop my work. I looked at the shelves it has on the sides and thought of an idea. I could include some small shelves on the sides of my own design to not make it look like an electrical box. The primary purpose of the shelves inside my design is to store books or stationery. However, adding shelves on the sides of the desk can act as decoration for people to store small objects.

These were my rough sketches:
The first design was the one in my initial ideas. I started developing it by curving the edges, inspired by the mid-century streamline waterfall desk. This could act as a safety precaution as I would limit the edges in the design making it more safe to be around children. Edges can be a safety hazard if someone injures themselves. 
I did like how the design shape was looking so I decided to develop it by adding the shelf feature inspired by the prepac wall mounted floating desk. The top two shelves had less storage area as the edges were curved. Therefore, I decided to sketch out another design but with sharp edges. I ended up really liking this design. 
Looking at the feedback that was given to me in the initial ideas stage, I think I managed to improve my design:
1. I do not think that it resembles an electrical box anymore as it has shelves that can be visible.
2. My design is in portrait orientation.
3. I did try and make it as intricate yet as simple as possible.
4. This was the most helpful advice as it guided me to add the shelves to the side. This really altered the image of the electrical box and improved my design.
5. My design is now more squared as I added the shelves.


Concluding, the feedback given to me was extremely helpful and I managed to develop a design that I am very satisfied with. I will be looking into components and measurements in the next few blogs and then I will start creating my design on sketchUp.


Sources for images:

Comments

Post a Comment