Final Project: Component

The next step of the process was to decided what my components would be. In order to achieve this, I decided to roughly sketch out the different parts of the desk separately. This would make me more aware of how many and what components I need to use to assemble everything together. 


These were the different pieces needed for my design.

Regarding the basic structure of the desk, I need to include stainless steel screws. I will add eight screws to ensure that the four sides of my skeleton are well assembled together. Each side will consist of two screws that will be used to stabilise everything together. 
Additionally, for extra support of the skeleton, I will include four metal corner joints for woods. I will place one in each corner to ensure maximum safety and stability.

Moving on to the dividers, I will need eight more stainless steel metal screws to place them and stabilize them onto the main skeleton. Each divider will need four screws, two placed on the top and two on the bottom. 


For the shelves, I want to make them adjustable so it can be easy for people to place them to their desired height and remove or add more shelves. For this to be achieved, on the dividers and the two vertical planks on the main body I will drill the wood panels and create holes. This is clearly displayed in the picture below. 

I will use twenty four shelf studs to secure my shelves. My design will consist of six shelves, and each shelf needs four shelf studs. Therefore, for the design I will need twenty four shelf studs.
This will allow the user to place or remove the shelves easily, making it more personal. 

For the part of the desk which will fold and unfold, I will have to use 2 pneumatic cabinet hinges. These will make sure that my table slowly unfolds and folds. I am aware that the hinges will be in the way of the user but there is no other solution to folding and unfolding the table. 

Lastly, for the table to be hung on the wall, I will need four corners. Two of the corners will be on the top and two on the bottom. I will then also use the stainless steel screws to mount it onto the wall and secure everything in place.


Concluding, even though I will not be manufacturing my product, this was very beneficial. It made me realise that even a simple design contain a lot of components. 





Sources for images:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/wood-screws/7976226/?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Fasteners_%26_Fixings_Whoop-_-Wood+Screws_Whoop-_-7976226&matchtype=&pla-392141125167&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh4j-BRCsARIsAGeV12Ds1FCvaX790aymFDQeNbAncEXVpS-ETVebruFfhADqzgxrt6VzaPgaAsB9EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds



Comments

  1. Good work on the fixings here - vital and yet many students would not have considered this properly - well done

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment